Monday, September 13, 2010
Quick and Easy Recipe: Crock-Pot Potato Soup
I have had a number of people ask me about recipes that are quick and easy. So today I begin my journey of exploring dinners that are just that, quick and easy. However, I'm also going to add a few more goals: nutritious and budget-friendly. I'm sure not all of the recipes will meet all four of these goals, but that's why I'm calling them goals, not requirements. Also, if there is a lag between "quick and easy" posts, it's probably because they haven't been worth posting... this way, you know if it's tasty. You know, maybe there should be one requirement, good taste. So, without further adiue, I give you the first recipe, Crock-Pot Potato Soup. This recipe comes from Norma Overson and appeared in the Santaquin 9th Ward's Crock-Pot Cooking recipe handout/collection thingy.
Ingredients
6 cups diced potatoes (more or less)
5 cups water
1/2 cup diced onions (more or less)
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots (grated works too)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
4 chicken bullion cubes (or 4 teaspoons granules)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried)
12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 cup grated cheddar (or Colby) cheese
Instructions
1. Combine all ingredients except milk, parsley, and cheese in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on High 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in milk and parsley. Stir in cheese until it melts. Heat.
Variations: Stir in 3 slices cooked, crumbled bacon or top servings with chopped chives.
Personal Notes: Due to the fact that it's a soup, you don't have to be exact on the vegetable amounts. For example, I used more carrots and less celery. I also used more than a 1/2 cup onion. I didn't mix in the cheese, instead we just sprinkled a little on top, but you could hardly taste it, so I think I'll save a few calories and just leave it out all together next time. Craig added a pinch of dried thyme, which was a nice touch. And I only cooked it for about 4 1/2 hours, which I thought was plenty, however, I did use red potatoes, so that may make things a bit different. This recipe came together so quickly and easily. All I had to use was a cutting board and a knife and a few measuring utensils, which was nice when it came time to clean up. In fact it has taken more time to write this post than to make this meal. In addition, this soup was very cheap to make. Granted, the potatoes came from grandma Johnson's garden and the onion came from our garden, but even if they hadn't they are all inexpensive ingredients. We quite enjoyed this soup and hope that you and your family will enjoy it too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It was delicious! I made it for a family potluck. And am going to make it for a ward potluck.
Post a Comment