Ingredients
2 cups boiling water
1 cup raw oatmeal
3 tablespoons margarine
1 package of yeast
1/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 3/4 to 5 1/4 cup flour
Directions
1. Mix the oatmeal with the boiling water and add the margarine. Let cool.
2. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the cooled oatmeal. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined.
4. Let dough rise for approximately 1 hr.
5. Grease pans. Place balls of dough evenly spaced into the pans. Allow dough to rise 45 minutes.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes.
7. Remove pan from the oven and butter the tops of the rolls while hot.
My notes on this recipe:
I used instant oats and that seemed to work fine, but I think I'll try rolled oats next time. I didn't wait for the oatmeal to get cold, I just cooled it enough so that it wasn't so hot that it would kill the yeast. I used a mixture of bread flour and all purpose flour (I would have used all bread flour, but I wasn't thinking and grabbed the all purpose container for the first few scoops) and that seemed to work just fine, however, I'm going to try using some whole wheat flour next time. Lastly, these rolls were good the day after, and still good the day after that... definitely a recipe worth trying.
No comments:
Post a Comment