Saturday, June 13, 2009

'Coco-nut' Brownie Squares


Sorry about not having Thursday and Friday's posts up yet... I was having some technical difficulties. No worries though, because here they are! This was supposed to have been Thursday's recipe. It came from a collection of recipes I've been stashing in the back of my recipe box labeled "recipes I want to try." I know I copied it down years ago from a magazine at the Shawen's cabin, but I have no idea which one. I'd love to give the credit to the author of this recipe, so if anyone can help me out, please let me know.

Coco-nut Topping
1 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped*
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Brownie
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

*I omitted the walnuts

Heat oven to 350 F. Line a 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray.
Topping: In large bowl, combine coconut, walnuts, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter until well mixed.
Brownie: In medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and cocoa. Remove from heat, with a wooden spoon, beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla, then flour and salt. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
Bake in 350 F oven until golden and brownie is just set in center, 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack. Grab edges of foil to remove brownies from pan. Cute into 48 squares. With spatula, remove brownies from foil. Enjoy!

I took these brownies to two different church events, and people gobbled them up at both. We'd give them a 3.5 out of 5. "The coconut was a nice taste, and the brownies were a good consistency" according to Craig. I might even lean towards giving them a 4.

No comments: