Thursday, June 18, 2009

Healthy No-Bake Cookies


Here's Wednesday's recipe. This recipe came from recipezaar.com.

3 tablespoons skim milk*
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/8 cup wheat germ (heaping)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground flax seeds (optional)*
1 cup quick oatmeal

Heat milk, sugar, and cocoa powder over high heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
Take off heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter; stir until peanut butter has melted completely.
Stir in wheat germ and oatmeal.
Drop by large spoonfuls onto wax paper or eat immediately.

*I used 1% milk instead of skim simply because that is what we had on hand. Also, I made this recipe using the optional ground flax seeds.

We doubled this recipe, and by way of appearance, it turned out fine, so I believe it is safe to do so. The use of the word "healthy" in the name should have been a red flag to us though. As a cookie we rate it a 2-2.5, however, if they were to call this a chocolate power bar, we'd easily give it at least a 3 if not more. Therefore, if your looking for a sweet treat, this probably wont curb the craving and I wouldn't suggest making. However, if your going for a hike and want to make your own, moist and yummy power bars I'd definitely suggest using this recipe and just adding some dried fruit or nuts to it.
We'd like to take the time to make a special shout out to the Majors and the Busbys for being brave enough to try this particular recipe.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Thanks for the shoutout! And for going out with us tonight. We had a blast with you guys! Like I said earlier, the cookies were actually quite good for a "healthy" cookie. Kudos to you for trying recipes that are better for the body - I'm too scared to do that!

Belladonna said...

I LOVE regular no bakes. I appreciate the warning that these will not compare to those decadant treats. Still, for the right purpose I may try them. I'm wondering how these would be with carob instead of chocolate?